About Averett University:
Since 1859, Averett University has grown and developed into a dynamic institution that serves students of all ages, offering more than 40 undergraduate majors with a number of concentrations and minors, along with 12 graduate programs with several concentrations. Dedicated to preparing students to serve and lead as catalysts for positive change, the University's historic main campus is embedded in the heart of Southern Virginia with regional learning centers throughout Virginia and online. Averett enrolls a diverse student body, and boasts an alumni network that spans the globe.
At Averett University, we are altogether different. We know that relationships fuel futures, which explains our unmistakable family atmosphere. On campus or online, Averett students feel a sense of true belonging. Through relentless support and unwavering dedication, we equip our students with the skills for a lifetime of success. Knowing that personal growth and community well-being go hand-in-hand, we serve others with confidence and distinction, and with a more than 160-year legacy, our influence is far-reaching in the world around us. This is All Averett.
Visit averett.edu for more info.
As part of the Traditional Admissions team, this position is responsible for connecting with prospective undergraduate students regarding all Averett University on-ground programs. Discovering our future students' academic desires and the motivation behind them, will be crucial to expressing how Averett University can help them academic, social, and career goals.
Communicating program information and admissions requirements will be the Admissions Counselors next step in assuring the prospective student becomes enrolled. This position includes obtaining or advising the future student on how to best obtain, all admissions documents. The Admissions Counselor will also be knowledgeable on building relationships with prospective students, parents, and high school counselors.
In short, the Admissions Counselor is an expert in all things Averett and advocates for students from the first connection to being fully enrolled and started in classes. Through their work they will deliver the core elements of Averett's mission and vision of being a premier student-centered university renowned for innovative teaching and experiential learning. The ability to reach our vision and the core values of Innovation and Discovery rely on a strong, dynamic, student-centered approach.
This Admissions Counselor position reports to the Director of Admissions for Traditional students and will maintain effective and close working relationships with student services and financial aid teams as well as program directors and faculty. This position is expected to recruit and enroll undergraduate students to Averett's on campus academic programs. They will provide vision, leadership, and excellent customer service through responsiveness to all prospective Averett students. Admissions Counselors play a pivotal role in Averett's ability to deliver our strategic plan through each of the three key areas (Student Success, Brand Excellence, and Strategic Growth).
The Admissions Counselor demonstrates competence and effectiveness in:
• Ability and commitment to becoming knowledgeable in Averett University's mission, vision, core values, history, systems, programs, financing options, interdepartmental coordination, and admissions strategies.
• Conducts outreach communication through phone calls, text messages and emails to prospective students with the goal of recruiting and disseminating information and advice. Advises potential students with respect to admissions, degree options, requirements, and progress, as well as providing information on university policy, practices, and rules.
• Maintains the highest levels of professionalism and interpersonal communication skills throughout the admissions process and with all University stakeholders.
• Maintains a high-level understanding of the Financial Aid process to guide students and transition to the Student Financial Services office when appropriate.
• Excitement for the discovery of prospective students' educational desires, balanced with a drive for organization and consistency in work making the students admissions process feel seamless, coordinated, and simple from the incoming student's viewpoint.
• Driven by a desire to self-improve and to become a leader.
• Displays integrity, innovation, ownership, and an eagerness to become an expert within the position.
• Bachelor's degree is highly preferred
• A sense of ownership over work and pride in learning new skills
• Attention to detail, ability to prioritize and complete tasks, and meet deadlines
• Outstanding interpersonal skills are essential
• Excellent communication skills; both oral and written
• Ability to adapt to, and utilize, numerous technology applications proficiently
• A understanding of how to take advantage of data to accomplish goals and to obtain insight on areas for growth
• Valid Driver's License required
• Recruiting prospective Averett University students at the inquiry, application, acceptance, and deposit stages of the Averett University enrollment process.
• Becoming a specialist in identifying students' motivation in pursuing higher education, and in recognizing and articulating which degree program will be vital to attain their educational and career aspirations.
• Ensures prospective students meet critical deadlines. Counsels, advocates, and assists them in understanding and acquiring admissions materials. Can effectively communicate all critical factors for enrolling in each specific degree offered by Averett University.
• Utilizing various admissions technologies, including the Salesforce CRM platform and other university databases, to maintain student records and communicate with prospective students.
• Applying data, dashboards, and reports to self-analyze impact and proficiency in recruitment efforts.
• Professionally organize and participate in off-campus recruitment events that include giving admissions presentations to large and small groups with the goal of recruiting students.
• Assist with on-campus recruitment events that occur throughout the year and provide campus tours to prospective students.
Must be able to perform the following with or without reasonable accommodations
• Must be able to drive and travel to conduct recruitment events periodically throughout the year
• Ability and willingness to work some evenings and weekends
• Background checks are required for all positions.
• An applicant must have an unrestricted right to work in the U.S.
Averett University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, published in compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, can be found at https://www.averett.edu/wp-content/uploads/9.30.21-ASR-for-2020.pdf.
Averett University's policies, programs and activities, including hiring practices, comply with federal and state laws and regulations prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression and veteran status. Inquiries related to the University's compliance with Title IX should be directed to Averett's Title IX Coordinator, Amanda Estabrook, at email@example.com. Additional contact information, reporting options, and the University's Title IX Sexual Harassment Policy can be found at https://www.averett.edu/about-us/title-ix/. Inquiries may be made externally to the Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights: https://www.ed.gov/ocr.
Averett University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.