Montessori Elementary at Highland Park (ME@HP) is seeking an experienced Assistant
Teacher who is passionate about the Montessori method and believes in the mission of
ME@HP to join our team for the 2022-2023 school year.
Montessori Elementary at Highland Park (ME@HP) has a goal to cultivate ambitious, fearless
learners through intellectually stimulating, interactive experiences that awaken curiosity,
nurture advanced thinking, and promote independence. This individual will guide his/her
students & activities in a prepared Montessori environment that will challenge each child to
develop all skill sets -- Cognitive, Emotional, Social and Physical. This will be done for the age
group in which the teacher has completed a satisfactory Montessori training program.
Located on the site of the former Highland Park Grammar School, Montessori Elementary at
Highland Park will be an anchor institution in one of Chattanooga's most vibrant and diverse
urban neighborhoods. Foundedin1889, Highland Park is an historic district that is experiencing
explosive growth and redevelopment. Opened August 2021, Montessori Elementary at
Highland Park is a co-educational, public charter school offering educational programs for
children PreK3 through 5th grade. The school serves families from all backgrounds and provides
a dynamic, participatory environment that integrates Montessori childhood education with
STEM experiential learning.
This is an on-site, full-time, assistant teaching position at ME@HP 700 S. Hawthorne St. in
Chattanooga, Tennessee. Primary role is assisting the Lead K-3 Teacher and furthering the
Montessori education methods to the school’s student community, in accordance with this
position’s job duties, school mission and educational goals. Some travel is required.
Salary and Benefits:
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with credentials and experience, and includes
comprehensive benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and TCRS). Teachers receive
funds for supplies and materials, as well as a laptop computer.
Only certified applicants and those meeting the job posting qualifications and requirements
described below will be interviewed. We will accept applications any time, but please send
resume with cover letter via email by July 15, 2022 for first consideration for the 2022-2023
• Assist the Lead Teacher in managing and coordinating classroom activities and
• Maintain inventory and restock classroom supplies and materials as directed by the
• Assist the Lead Teacher in maintaining the classroom materials keeping a clean and
• Assist in preparing and rotating classroom materials, as directed
• Use appropriate positive guidance and discipline techniques with the children
• Supervise and guide group activities and children as directed by the classroom teacher
• Be responsible for the safety and well-being of students at all times
• Maintain positive interaction with students, staff and parents at all times • Attend staff meetings and parent meetings, as requested
• Assist with projects, programs and other planning as assigned by the Lead Teacher or
Director of School
• Observe and communicate regularly regarding student or parents to the Lead Teacher
• Help supervise students during fire drills, tornado drills, etc.
• Administer First Aid when needed, report injuries immediately to a Lead Teacher and fill
out proper documentation of the incident
• Adhere to school policies
• Perform other duties, as directed by the Lead Teacher and the administration
• Must have a solid foundation in Earlier Childhood Education and Child Development
• Currently attending a AMS or AMI-MACTE accredited teacher training program
preferred, or willingness to strain in MACTE accredited program
• Have physical capacity to work with preschool/kindergarten aged children (includes but
is not limited to: ending, minor lifting, working on the floor)
• Bachelor’s degree
• CPR and First Aid certified
• Must be willing to undergo criminal background check.
ME@HP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Incompliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Board of Education will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer. ME@HP provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.