Dean / Director of the Governors' Cyber Academy
Dean / Director of the Governors' Cyber Academy
As part of Dakota State University (DSU), and its RISING 2 cyber leadership and education program, we are accepting applications for the Director/Dean of the Governor’s Cyber Academy of South Dakota (GCA). The GCA is designed for high schoolers and will provide university level computer/cyber science courses to qualified high school students across the state of South Dakota. The Director/Dean of GCA will lead a collaboration between state government (specifically the Department of Education), school districts in South Dakota, home-schooled students and the nationally recognized computer and cyber science expertise of Dakota State University.
The Director/Dean of the Cyber Academy of South Dakota is a full-time 12-month, administrative, non-faculty exempt, benefit-eligible appointment. This position will serve as the main point of contact and support for K-12 institutions and students as well as participating DSU faculty, and staff. This position will lead, create, maintain, and implement recruitment activities and day-to-day administration of the Academy. Specifically, the GCA will make available to high school students 21 credits (7 courses) of Computer Science and Cybersecurity courses (transferable and stackable) along with 9 credits (3 courses) of general education = 30 credits (transferable and stackable).
The courses within the GCA will be offered in three ways: Face-to-face, synchronous online, and asynchronous online using the on-campus learning management system. Extensive mentorship will be provided to the high school students by cyber professionals, near peer mentors and faculty mentors. In each summer of the GCA, Cyber Summer Camps will be offered to the students in both east river and west river locations providing enrichment learning, e.g., educational connections to relevant technical college programs, and residential coursework.
Responsibilities of the Director/Dean, Cyber Academy of South Dakota
- Create a delivery system for university level computer/cyber sciences courses to be delivered to qualified high school students across the state of South Dakota.
- Work with high schools and home-schooled students throughout the state of South Dakota recruiting and advising K-12 administrators and students to encourage participation and facilitate growth in the Academy.
- Through strong leadership and management efforts ensure a quality educational environment for all students enrolled in these courses (high quality faculty, efficient and effective delivery modalities, high levels of project communication, close work with Department of Education staff as well as with school district leadership across the state).
- Work closely with the leadership and faculty of the Beacom College of Computer and Cyber Sciences at Dakota State University (source of the academic course offerings) to provide a schedule of courses.
- Work with Department of Education staff to support existing CTE (Career and Technical Education) programming.
- Work with the DSU College of Education and the Department of Education staff to develop a K-5 and out-of-school cyber education program.
- Work with the Department of Education staff, the Beacom College of Computer and Cyber Sciences, the College of Education (DSU), the College of Arts and Sciences (DSU), and the College of Business and information Systems (DSU) to update South Dakota Computer Science Education Standards and develop the programs within the GCA.
- Work closely with school district leadership across the state to encourage participation, to develop and maintain high standards of educational delivery and to effectively deliver the GCA curriculum to high school students.
- Supervise and support faculty teaching within the GCA.
- Oversee and execute the ongoing administration of the allocated budget.
- Formulate short- and long-range plans for the meeting the goals of the GCA.
Qualifications for Appointment
- Earned doctoral degree (Computer or Cyber Sciences, Student Affairs, Education or related field) preferred. Master’s degree required. The degree must be in a related field from an accredited university.
- Demonstrated leadership, administrative, and supervisory experience (minimum two-year full-time experience).
- Experience building and sustaining relationships with local and state schools and parents.
- Record of accomplishment in teaching and professional service.
- Experience in curriculum development and assessment.
- Strong communication, organization, and technology skills.
- Record of successful management of fiscal resources, strategic planning, and program development.
- Ability to integrate and apply new and emerging technology.
- K-12 teaching experience preferred.
- Experience in at least one of the following is encouraged: creating or leading STEM recruitment activities, academic advising, career advising, K-12 student success initiatives. The successful candidate Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Ability to deliver the intended student learning outcomes (see section below).
Dakota State University provides learning that integrates technology and continuous innovation to educate individuals who assume relevant and meaningful roles in society. Dakota State University offers undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral programs through its colleges of arts and sciences, business and information systems, computer and cyber sciences, and education. DSU has a special focus on the development, application, implications, and impacts of computing, information technologies and cyber security in all areas of human endeavor. DSU has received multiple Center of Excellence designations in education, research and regional resource development from the U.S. National Security Agency and U.S. Department of Homeland Security. DSU is home to the Madison Cyber Labs (MadLabs®), a cyber R&D hub with labs and institutes that explore and advance technology application, workforce development, business expansion, economic growth, and policy improvement across multiple disciplines and fields.
Applying for the Position
The position is open until filled. DSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu. The employment site will allow the attachment of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, transcripts, and contact information for at least three professional references.
Candidates who apply by September 23, 2022 will receive primary consideration.