Deaf Education Teacher - $5,000 Hiring Bonus!
Des Moines Public Schools is Iowa's Largest provider of K-12 education, serving nearly 32,000 students. DMPS also employs almost 5,000 people, making the district one of Central Iowa's largest employers.
Des Moines Public Schools is looking for a Deaf Education Teacher, responsible for planning and delivering a high-quality educational program to meet the academic and social and emotional needs for students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.
Salary: See 2023-24 salary schedule at the job application link.
Contract days vary by assignment.
*Hiring bonus of $5,000 will be awarded to the selected candidate*
1. Deliver daily lessons, aligned to state standards, that meet students’ individual needs and ensure growth.
2. Create a culturally inclusive classroom that meets the academic and social emotional needs of students.
3. Monitor student learning on a daily basis. Use multiple data points to guide and individualize instruction.
4. Participate in building and district professional learning communities to plan for instruction, analyze data, and create assessments.
5. Develop and implement Individual Education Plans for students with disabilities and follows the district approved process to write, monitor student progress, and review with parents.
6. Work with colleagues to make accommodations to instruction and curriculum to meet the learning needs of student with disabilities.
7. Collect and analyze student achievement data and collaborate with colleagues to make accommodations to instruction and curriculum to meet the needs of deaf and hard of hearing students.
8. Communicate with families on a regular basis.
9. Participate in professional development.
10. Demonstrate consistent progress on meeting the eight Iowa Teacher Standards.
ADDITIONAL ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (for every DMPS position):
1. Attend work on a prompt and regular basis.
2. Maintain confidentiality.
3. Maintain satisfactory and harmonious working relationships with the public, students, and other employees.
4. Assist with other duties as may be assigned.
1. Valid Iowa teaching license with Birth-21 Deaf or Hard of Hearing endorsement.
2. Knowledge of subject, curriculum, effective teaching methods.
3. Demonstrated effectiveness in oral, written, and ASL communications.
4. Experience and competency working in a culturally diverse environment or the willingness to acquire these skills.
Receive family health insurance at no cost with participation in the district's wellness program, no-cost vision insurance, and low-cost dental insurance. Access to IPERS (Iowa Public Employees' Retirement System) and a free DART bus pass.