Chinese Language Arts Teacher
Who We Are
District of Columbia International School (DCI) is a public charter school serving over 1600 racially and economically diverse students in grades 6-12 from across the District of Columbia. We aim to provide our students with a world-class education that empowers them to follow their passions and change the world. DCI’s education centers on an International Baccalaureate curriculum, advanced language learning in Chinese, Spanish, and French, and a culture focused on student agency supported by 1:1 technology.
DCI is hiring a full-time Chinese Language Arts Teacher. To apply, complete the application and be prepared to upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. You will need to pass a background check. No phone calls, please.
Position Overview: This teaching position entails instructional and planning responsibilities for providing IB Chinese education to students at DCI during the school year. This content will be taught in Chinese.
Salary Range: $56,500 - $101,000 (Starting salary is determined by education and years of relevant experience)
Qualifications: A Master's Degree in secondary education or this content area is preferred (Bachelor's Degree is required). Able to meet HQT requirements under NCLB. Previous experience teaching in this content area is strongly preferred. Experience with 1:1 technology a plus.
- Bilingual and biliterate in Chinese.
- Past experience teaching MYP/DP Chinese (Language A or B), IB Language and Literature, and similar AP and Honors courses.
- Deliver exceptional Chinese instruction, through immersion methods, to diverse learners.
- Plan curriculum using a deep understanding of, and integration with, the IB Language curriculum framework.
- Advise students, including teach an advisory class using our advisory curriculum, and support other aspects of the school’s instructional program.
- Ability to handle the intensity required to work in a high-performing charter school, and remain organized, responsible, and accountable.
- Ability to proactively manage the classroom learning environment in accordance with the school’s discipline approach to maximize student engagement and learning.
- Ability to accept and implement feedback received for real-time improvement.
- Interest and desire to engage in the IB MYP/DP and language immersion.
- Ability to do the professional development work needed to deliver instruction at a high level.
- Collaborate with general and special educators, coordinators, and leadership.
- High degree of communication through a variety of mediums with parents and students.
- Embrace French, Spanish, and Chinese cultures by leading and participating in cultural activities for faculty and students.
- Ensure that our 1:1 Chromebooks program is implemented effectively for students by infusing technology into instruction.
- Other duties as assigned.
Faculty and Staff Development/Benefits: DCI is committed to the principles of servant leadership and to providing faculty and staff with the resources and training they need to provide an excellent education experience for every student and family.
- We have a benefits package that includes health and disability insurance and paid leave.
- We offer teachers daily planning time, professional development, and reasonable class sizes.
- Teachers and staff have the appropriate technology and support to do their work.
DC International School is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural and multilingual environment.