Accounting & Business Faculty
DWU is located in Mitchell, South Dakota, a community of 15,000, nestled in the heart of one of the country's finest outdoor recreation areas. Mitchell is the sixth largest city in South Dakota and home to the world's only Corn Palace. The University is within an hour's drive of Sioux Falls, one of the Upper Midwest's largest statistical metropolitan areas. It is within a six-hour drive of several major metropolitan areas (Omaha, NB; Minneapolis, MN; Kansas City, MO).
Benefits include health, vision, dental and life insurance, access to campus wellness program and facilities, vacation, sick and holiday pay, tuition reimbursement and retirement.
Dakota Wesleyan University in Mitchell, South Dakota invites applications for a full-time faculty position in Business with an emphasis in accounting at the anticipated rank of either Assistant or Associate Professor. The person will be responsible for teaching a variety of accounting and general business courses, advising business students, and will serve as a member of the university’s college of business, education, and social science. Experience teaching, or the ability to teach, some, or all, of the following courses is desirable: tax accounting, cost accounting, advanced accounting, data analytics, operations management, survey of accounting, introduction to business, and/or other foundational finance or management courses. Start date is August 15, 2023. Rank and salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience.
The Musick Family Department of Business’ new building, the School of Business, Innovation and Leadership, opened in the fall of 2021 and boasts state-of-the-art technology to enhance teaching and learning. The DWU Business program offers students a highly relevant, project-oriented curriculum. Members of the business faculty are enthusiastic about delivering an innovative, relevant, learning experience closely aligned with workplace expectations to best prepare both traditional and nontraditional students to be successful in the knowledge-based economy. A spirit of entrepreneurial thinking permeates the business program and the broader university community.
All candidates are encouraged to provide evidence of successful college-level teaching, including strong professor-student relationships, commitment to student development, and creative pedagogical practice.
The successful candidate will:
- Hold a master’s degree or equivalent (e.g., CPA—with a possible exception for individuals who have extensive, successful, documented professional business experience).
- Have relevant, successful, professional experience working in one or more business environments, particularly with significant marketing and management responsibilities.
- Have taught successfully, preferably at the college level, or have comparable communication/sales experience that promises to translate effectively into the teaching environment.
- Be enthusiastic about approaching teaching and learning in innovative ways that generate interest in the discipline and strengthen student engagement.
- Be comfortable with, or willing to learn, the use of digital technologies to enhance student engagement and learning.
- Be firmly committed to high quality teaching and to active, project-based/applied learning.
- Have the ability to create assignments and learning experiences that are directly relevant to the professional work environment.
- Be committed to mentoring students, including serving as an academic advisor.
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Dakota Wesleyan University (DWU) is a private, comprehensive university affiliated with the United Methodist Church granting both bachelor's and master's degrees. The University's mission is to provide a transformative learning experience that cultivates enduring intellectual growth, ethically grounded leadership, intentional faith exploration, and meaningful service. The University serves approximately 1,000 students from across the nation and around the world, including a significant number of first-generation students from the Great Plains region. Dakota Wesleyan's profile is on the rise both regionally and nationally. U.S. News and World Report recently ranked Dakota Wesleyan as best value school in the Midwest and as one of the best regional colleges in the Midwest. In 2017, Dakota Wesleyan received a rank of "A" in Forbes Magazine's College Grades for Financial Health. In fall 2018, Dakota Wesleyan introduced its Digital DWU initiative. This initiative focuses on creating learning opportunities for students that anticipate the digital world they will enter upon graduation. The initiative provides all students with iPads and supports faculty in utilizing technology to create a more engaging and inclusive educational experience for all students.
Dakota Wesleyan University is an equal opportunity employer and provider.