Salary: $8.84 PER HOUR (25 HRS WEEK)
GENERAL PURPOSE: Responsible for assisting with transporting children safely to Head Start facilities and back home, as well as on field trips. The duties also include maintaining the overall cleanliness and sanitation of buses and completing all necessary paperwork.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Establish a professional working relationship with all Head Start staff. Exercise professionalism at all times with parents, families, and students. Perform other related duties assigned by the supervisor. Report to supervisor on time and/or when missing work with advance notification.
- Follow the policies and procedures of Lafourche Parish Government and the Head Start performance standards, as well as the written transportation plan.
- Responsible for assisting the bus driver with transporting children safely to Head Start classrooms/centers and back home.
- Responsible for assisting the bus driver with conducting pre-trip and post-trip checks on buses and special equipment.
- Responsible for reporting regularly and punctually in the operation of routes; must be consistent in daily work habits.
- Responsible for accurate recording of time sheets and forwarding to their supervisor, accordingly.
- Responsible for notifying Center Director and Supervisor if unable to report for duty. Notifies Supervisor of impending absences and/or tardiness.
- Responsible for ensuring that appropriate sanitary practices are enforced while transporting children and after children disembark from buses.
- Responsible for maintaining orderly conduct of all passengers and uses the appropriate procedures for reporting disorderly passengers. Maintains appropriate disciplinary policies on the bus at all times in accordance with Lafourche Parish Head Start policies and procedures.
- Responsible for assisting with transporting children for field trips.
- Responsible for assisting with maintaining buses in accordance with local, state and federal regulations, including first aid kits, fire extinguishers and warning devices.
- Responsible for completing weekly job status reports. Submit paperwork at the end of each week.
- Responsible for completing all extraordinary paperwork and reports as needed.
- Responsible for assisting with loading and unloading of all passengers.
- Responsible for securing all student riders with the appropriate safety devices.
- Responsible for occupying children during the ride with appropriate songs and games.
- Responsible for ensuring that all equipment is mechanically safe, reliable, clean and in compliance with state and local regulations.
- Meets all general and specific health requirements as prescribed by federal, state or local laws, guidelines, rules or regulations in accordance with maintaining the proper safety standards. Responsible for remaining up to date on all trainings, inspections, licenses and physicals.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Ensures absolute confidentiality with respect to information and records concerning families, children, and staff.
- Clean and sanitize entire inside of bus after each route.
- Clean outside of bus as needed.
- Ensure that all windows are clean and free of any obstruction.
Education and Experience:
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent.
- Must be able to work with pre-school age children
- Must be at least eighteen years of age
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, other agencies, program participants, and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to be able to work on a computer
- Ability to successfully complete an approved Defensive Driving Course
- Ability to successfully complete an approved First Aid/CPR course
- A valid Louisiana driver’s license with CDL endorsement
- Must have an acceptable and safe driving record as provided by the Department of Motor Vehicles
- Must be able to pass a criminal records check, physical exam, drug screening, and tuberculosis testing.
Click APPLY NOW to submit your application today!
Lafourche Parish Government is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, genetic information, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful alien status, national origin, age, marital status, and non-job related physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.