School Social Worker
Position Overview: Responsible for contributing to improved student achievement and realization of the school and district vision by providing counseling and guidance services to students, parents and staff of the Red Lake School District. The Licensed School Social Worker provides proactive guidance and referral services to students, parents, and staff, based on requirements established by school division policies, procedures, and protocols, and by local, state and national regulations and statues.
Major Position Duties: The following list of duties is intended as an illustration of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. Additionally, the amount of time spent in each of the activities will vary depending on student need and the social worker’s schedule, assigned grade levels/building, and other factors.
Regular Duties & Responsibilities
- Serves on child-study and/or support teams; providing appropriate services for students with identified needs and acting as a resource and advocate for parents and staff.
- Participates in special education assessment meetings and Individual Education Plan meetings as requested
- Prepares a social or developmental history for children with disabilities
- Provides individual, small group, or family counseling
- Mobilizes family, school, and community resources to enable students to learn as effectively as possible in their educational programs
- Assists in developing positive behavioral intervention strategies
- Assists in the development of Individual Health Care Plans and 504 Plans
- Develops intervention strategies to increase academic success
- Helps students develop appropriate social interaction skills
- Works with parents to facilitate their support in their student’s school adjustment