JOB CODE: 25-3041.00 STATUS: Full Time – 12 months
EXEMPT: No Location: MCSD and SRCSD
DEPARTMENT: Education -Youth Services REPORTS TO: Youth Service Manager
SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Youth Service Manager, the Youth Services Educational Specialist is responsible for assisting eligible/enrolled clients with Tribal Learning Assistance Program (TLAP).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Identify and recruit eligible students for TLAP/Youth Services. It is a priority to identify students who are struggling academically and who need supportive assistance to meet their goals.
- Will work towards building capacity and understanding of TLAP program and service policies, procedures and PL 102-477 regulations.
- Meet face to face with TLAP students and/or virtually; assisting them to create an Individual Success Plan (ISP).
- Track and maintain TLAP client files.
- Monitor attendance and progress reports of clients for quarterly reporting; keep documents secure.
- Reports should consist but are not limited to: a list of clients, attendance, completed ISP's, grades, progress reports, concerns and/or accomplishments; also include any recommendations for referrals.
- Ability to input daily case notes, complete progress monitoring and client success plans through a case management system.
- Plan, chaperone and supervise various educational trips, college visits and/or activities, which provide career exposure, and college readiness for clients.
- Assist clients in their college planning, assist with ACT/SAT preparation and filing out applications for testing and college applications.
- Plan, coordinate and implement program activities, including incentive programs for students.
- Work and align with the mission statement associated with prospective school district.
- Create and provide a positive working relationship with teachers, school personnel, guidance department, clients and parents.
- Act as a liaison with other educational services within the Educational Division and programs of the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe and other community services.
- Work with our youth clients on education, employment and training activities, as we would be helping to transition clients between Youth Services and other education, employment, training and supportive services.
- In the summer months, this position would work in concert with Youth Services Program Manager and with our various summer programs i.e. Career Pathways, Summer Youth Rec and Career Intern Programs.
- Other job duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: To represent the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Education Division and Youth Services Program. Responsible for the supervision of clients in the classroom and while chaperoning field trips.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the sensitive nature of information and personnel files maintained within Human Resources, an individual must maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College in related field with a minimum of 6 months’ experience working with Native American students in a tutorial capacity, preferred or; an Associate’s degree (A. A.) from a two-year College or a two-year Certificate Program in related field with a minimum of 12 months’ experience working with Native American students in a tutorial capacity.
One-year supervisory experience, preferred, must be willing and able to travel and work evenings and weekends.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Strong oral and written communication skills required. Must have excellent computer skills including word, excel, and experience with varying databases. Knowledge of the Haudenosaunee culture and traditions. Mohawk language is desired.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license with a clean driver abstract in accordance with the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe’s Fleet Policy.
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job-related factor.
The successful candidate must pass a test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed. The successful candidate must pass a criminal background check prior to employment.
Applicants must submit letter of interest, resume, supporting documents (certificates, degrees, licenses) and proof of native preference eligibility (Tribal Identification Card or Status Card or letter) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Human Resources, Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe, 71 Margaret Terrance Memorial Way, Akwesasne, NY 13655. Due to our network security, we are unable to open hyperlinks. Applicants will need to attach their documents as PDF or WORD files if emailing. Applicants must clearly outline that they meet the qualification requirements on their resume.
NATIVE PREFERENCE POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe strives to be an equal opportunity employer dedicated to the policy of nondiscrimination based on race, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, physical disability, veteran status or any other non-job related factor. Among qualified applicants, the SRMT will give preference to the qualified native applicant.
DRUG TESTING POLICY
The successful applicant for employment must submit to and pass a drug test for illegal substances prior to employment being confirmed.
Some positions require candidate(s) to successfully pass a criminal background check prior to beginning employment, used solely for employment related purposes.
A list of qualified candidates is created from interviews that may be used to appoint individuals to similar positions within the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe for a period of six months.
Testing in the applicable skills may be required as part of the interview process.
EMPLOYEE COVID VACCINATION POLICY
The Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe has adopted a “Tribal Employee Vaccination Policy” that requires all employees to be “Fully Vaccinated” against the Coronavirus. Applicants are not required to disclose their vaccination status at the time of application; however, they must do so upon becoming the successful candidate. The successful applicant must submit their proof of vaccination status or they may submit a Medical Exemption form upon being notified that they are the successful candidate. At that point, the policy will apply to them as though they were already employed.