Director of the Early Childhood Education Department
This position is responsible for ensuring the performance standards and regulations of all funding sources in
the Early Childhood Education Department are met while providing supervision, monitoring, and planning to
meet those standards.
1. Provide vision, guidance, and supervision to staff including coaching, information, and direction
while maintaining continuity, integrity, and purpose of the organization.
• Complete annual performance evaluations on management team.
• Meet quarterly with individual management team member to discuss problems, concerns,
• Schedule and facilitate regularly scheduled management team meetings to address issues
• Plan and facilitate annual preservice training for all ECE staff
• Follows the PA State Department of Ed guidelines for teacher observations conducted annually on
Lead Teachers to ensure they stay on track to receive level II certification
2. Serve as an advocate for direct programs as well as a liaison for Community Action Partnership of
• Serve on boards and/or committees of at least two community agencies annually
• Assign Program Managers to serve as ECE representatives to at least one agency committee or board
• Ensure Early Childhood Department participates in Community Outreach activities
3. Work closely with Director of Finance to maintain financial responsibility for program through
budget preparation, monitoring, and reporting as well as seeking funding streams.
• Ensure continuation of annual grants
• Ensure grant awards are expended in a timely manner
• Ensure budget expenditures do not exceed grant awards
• Ensure all program expenses are allowable and allocable.
• Ensure all non-federal share and administrative cost requirements are met
• Ensure all budget reports are submitted on or before funders deadlines
4. Communicate with Policy Council, the Tableland Board, Early Childhood staff, and parents through
reports, newsletters, trainings, memos, meetings, letters, and e-mails so that regulations, policies,
procedures, and general information is shared.
• Ensure management team and direct services staff are updated on program policies and procedures
and changes in personnel policies
• Submit monthly reports to Policy Council and Tableland Board as required by the Board and Policy
Council and funders
• Submit reports to funders as required and on or before deadlines
• Ensure department policy and procedures are maintained
• Ensure that all communication from the ECED is well-written, spelling and grammatically correct
5. Monitor reports including manager reports about outcomes, budgets, and observations to ensure
performance standards and other grant regulations are being met.
• Track manager reports for use in monthly board and Policy Council reports
• Track progress of corrective action plans from monitoring findings with program managers
• Develop as needed procedures to handle issue discovered through monitoring process
6. Plan for continual program improvement through self-assessments, community assessments, and
strategic long and short term goals and through keeping current on issues and trends affecting
Early Childhood Education programs
• Follow policy and procedure for scheduling and facilitating self-assessment
• Follow policy and procedure for completing community assessment and updates
• Use data from assessments to design T/TA plan
• Use data from assessments and parent and staff surveys to improve program performance
• Ensure staff have individual professional development plans
7. Facilitate self-assessment, federal monitoring events, community assessment, and strategic
planning updates to ensure regulations, requirements and standards of programs are met as are the
needs of ECE families
• Provide self-assessment summary including findings and corrective actions to governing board and
Policy Council annually
• Provide community assessment summary to respective boards
• Prepare boards, staff and families for federal review through review of procedures and possible
8. Develop while ensuring compliance with associated and partnership services
• School districts principals and superintendents
• CACFP services
• Lease Agreements
• Memorandums of Understanding
• Early Childhood programs reporting and tracking
• Professional Development ie: Act 48, Teacher Induction and PD registry
• Transportation Services
9. Attend meetings and trainings to further develop potential of self and the organization
• Create a Professional Development plan for enhancement of skills needed as director
• Attend all mandated trainings and meetings
• Represent the ECE department at agency directors’ meetings
• Represent the ECE department at agency board meetings
1. Travel as required and/or needed
2. Perform other related duties as required.
Supervision is received from the Executive Director.
This position requires the direct supervision of the management team for the Early Childhood programs and
indirect supervision of all Early Childhood staff.
• Bachelor Degree in Education or related field required
• Master Degree in Education preferred
EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
• Administration/management experience required
• Early Childhood developmentally appropriate practices knowledge
• Supervisory experience dealing with professional staff
• Knowledge of PA State and federal regulations in the field of education
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
• Teaching Certification
• Principal Certification preferred
• Valid Driver’s License
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Highest level of innovation and problem-solving skills to improve productivity, outcomes and
educational opportunities for children
• Excellent leadership, professionalism, and supervisory skills with independent judgment and dis
• Advanced decision-making
• Strong writing and verbal
• Highest level for attention to detail
• Advanced independent judgment and discretion
• Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple project and deadlines
• Advanced computer skills; MS office, Presentation, Database, Spreadsheet, Email etc.
• Basic knowledge of human resource laws and regulations as they relate to the management of staff
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.