The incumbent will be responsible for the maintenance and preparation of the
laboratories. He/she will assist with maintaining and ordering all equipment and supplies, updating inventory listings, and overseeing the security of the labs. The Laboratory Technician must be flexible regarding working hours and is expected to work at all campus locations.
Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
· Assembles, prepares, and sets up materials requested for each laboratory exercise and subsequently removes, replaces, discards, or recycles materials before the next lab.
· Maintains, disburses, and controls equipment and supplies in laboratory preparatory rooms.
· Assists in setting up practica.
· Cleans all tabletops, lamps, magnifiers, all portable benches, all carts and stands; maintains the anatomy and physiology equipment, models, charts, and storage area, and counts of preserved specimens.
· Disposes all preserved specimens and washes out boxes and dissecting trays.
· Orders and receives new equipment and supplies, enters in inventory, and stores properly.
· Maintains current inventory listings of all supplies and equipment.
· Prepares requisitions for supplies and equipment; maintains files and notes the progress of all requisitions.
· Maintains laboratory security and organization by ensuring that doors and cabinets are locked, and student stations are properly equipped.
· Advises Dean when equipment needs repair or replacement.
· Maintains stock rooms, prep rooms, laboratories, and specimen refrigerators.
· Maintains living specimens and keeps inventory of preserved specimens on hand.
· Maintain and update records of all hazardous chemicals according to “New Jersey Right to Know Act.”
· Attends meetings, as directed by the Dean, to maintain communication and feedback.
· Performs other related duties as assigned.
Associates degree required with course work in the sciences and
disciplines, including but not limited to Microbiology, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, Architecture, Astronomy, Engineering, Meteorology, and Physics.
· Experience working in a laboratory environment, including awareness of safety procedures.
Competencies and Skills Required
· Excellent communication skills and strong command of English language.
· Ability to make minor repairs on equipment.
· Ability to maintain/update inventory of equipment and supplies.
· Ability to work and communicate well with a wide diversity of people including faculty, students, maintenance, and custodial staff.
· Ability to organize and utilize time efficiently.
· Knowledge of basic computer skills using Microsoft Office.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
· This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
· Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
· Use of appropriate personal protective equipment is routinely required.
· Limited exposure to physical risk.
· Some travel required.